From the desk of Patrick Ward…
I’m about to leave on my annual trek to Austin for SXSW, which some think of as a geek spring break. Whether you’re a SXSW neophyte or you’ve been going for decades, here are my tips to help you navigate the excitement and chaos that embodies SXSW.
- Wear your walking shoes. If you have a car, just park it.
- Pick up your registration badge and SXSW bag and ditch the bag at your hotel room.
- Create an agenda and identify which panels you want to see. For example, go to Startup Village and check out Smartling’s panel on Saturday, which also features Spotify, foursquare and Zendesk.
- Go to the happy hour events and skip the late night parties.
- Plan on eating breakfast and dinner, but skip lunch. A lot of great panels are scheduled during lunch and you don’t want to miss them.
- Check out the Austin Food Carts blog for the best guide on food trucks.
- Crowds tend to congregate in hotel lobbies or hallways. This is the place to run into people and chat.
- Hit the Tradeshow block party to mingle with cool companies while enjoying free food and drink.
Hope these tips help you get the most out of SXSW. I’ll be tweeting from Austin so follow me on Twitter @patricknward.